Dr. Philip Henry, Palm Beach Atlantic University
Healing Trauma in the Body
This seminar is an interactive, clinically focused presentation on the effects of trauma on the individual and the state of the art interventions that can be used in the healing of trauma. The work of Dr. Bessel van der Kolk (from whose latest book our title has been taken) and Dr. Marsha Linehan are foundational to this understanding of trauma and its implications for treatment. Focus will be given to the neurological effects of trauma (neurotransmitter, wiring and genetic changes) and techniques for mediating the negative effects. Those who work with children and adults especially with a history of abuse, family trauma or neglect would benefit from this workshop.
A Trauma Expert
Dr. Philip Henry is a clinical psychologist, associate professor of counseling at Palm Beach Atlantic University, and author of several books. He is completing his post doctorate in psychopharmacology and his research and teaching interest are in the areas of addiction and neuroscience and are rooted in an understanding of trauma. Last summer and this summer he spent a week Dr. Marsha Linehan, the founder of dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) extensively exploring her work and bringing her work and the work of Dr. Bessel van der Kolk to clinical application.
Participants will leave with the ability to:
- Explain how trauma and complex trauma effect the body
- Identify trauma’s effect on the brain, neurotransmitters and “wiring” from both single event and developmental trauma.
- Productively explore primary attachment patterns and how those patterns modify or exacerbate the effects of trauma
- Describe 8 contributing factors to the development of complex PTSD
- Apply advanced knowledge of complex PTSD that can aid in diagnosis, informed intervention and treatment of individuals
- Delineate the common factors in Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), Eye Movement Desensitizing Reprocessing (EMDR) and a number of newer “body-connected” therapies (application of these factors will be given)
Tickets will soon be available on Eventbrite.